[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-dev] Map Properties/dbfawk: Time to rethink?

Jim Chandler jim at chandler.net
Thu Dec 11 16:50:13 EST 2003

Curt,

I agree.  This is exactly what I had in mind when I moved the Tiger map
out of the Map Chooser and gave it it's own menu.  I wanted to extend it
beyond just Tiger maps (mapquest, etc) to be good for all
internet-required type maps.  I had already started on menus that allowed
for customizing the map to some extent.  This of course has all been
removed and put back under Map Chooser, so I'm at a loss at this point on
how to realize, transparently to the user, how to modify these maps,
without requiring one to use joe or vi.

Jim

N0VH

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:22:26 -0800 (PST)
Curt Mills <hacker at tc.fluke.com> wrote:

> This is being sent to both lists in order to get a broader set of
> opinions:
>
> With the impending integration of the GDAL/OGR library, we need to
> start thinking about how to specify all of the properties of a map.
> Hopefully in a very general way that would extend across all vector
> and raster map types.
>
> I've seen files on the 'net, generated by GIS programs, which appear
> to have columns to specify which map layer each feature will be on,
> font size, line widths, and similar things.  Obviously they had to
> solve similar problems to what we're facing.
>
> Does it make sense to extend the dbfawk stuff to all vector maps?
> Raster maps?  Perhaps integrate it into Xastir more fully?
>
> I'd like to see an extremely fast implementation, with a GUI
> interface to change all of the options.  The user shouldn't have to
> edit map preference files by hand.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
> Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math!"
> "Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates!" -- WE7U

Jim
N0VH