[Xastir] Xastir, Internet Gateways and local digipeaters

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 17 14:31:37 EST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Chris Abbott wrote:

> Hi, I'm relatively new to APRS and have some questions. My first
> question is how do you send packets through a server in another state to
> a digipeater in a different state than the server, what is the path
> suppose to be? Thanks.

It's very cool.  The answer is this:  Get the packet to your local
igate, whatever that path is.  Once it is on the 'net, all packets
are seen by all igates that are connected.  Igates keep track of who
they've heard locally.  If they see a message packet on the 'net
that is intended for one of the local users, they gate it out to RF.

I believe that only works for message packets.

If you want to get position packets sent out remotely, you need to
have the igate sysop configure his/her igate to do that for your
callsign.

Curt, WE7U			    archer at eskimo.com