[Xastir] Re: [Xastir} Still getting crashes

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Tue Dec 23 09:06:19 EST 2003

Jack,

	If you're having problems with other apps too there are 3 basic things
you can check.

1 - Does Yast2 have the capability to run some type of integrity check
on all the files on the system which are owned by packages?  You may
have a hosed library from an unclean restart

2 - Type "cat /proc/interrupts" and see if the serial line is sharing
and interrupt with anything

3 - Make a memtest86 bootdisk and reboot with it in.  Do this in the
evening before you go to bed and let it run overnight.  (
http://www.memtest86.com ) You can also set memtest86 up as a boot
target in grub/lilo.  I don't see anything that really points to a
memory problem, but its a cheap and easy test to rule it out.

Especially since minicom appears hosed up on your system I'm a bit
suspicious about some of the system libraries.

		THX/BDH

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 02:09, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Jack Reilly wrote:
>
> > Doing a hard reset on my kpc3 +  has gotten rid of the hexadecimal input but I
> > still get the same old crashes.
> >
> > I am using ImageMagick 5.5.4.  Anyone else using that?
>
> Running 5.4.7 here.  Older than the one you have.  Was running
> an even older version two days ago.  Both worked fine.
>
> I remember you had other stability problems on that machine.  Are you
> having problems still with other apps?  Other apps that use a lot of
> memory like Mozilla or Netscape?  Have you tried running without maps
> and with a clean start of Xastir to see if you can tie the crashes to
> a particular map library or to high memory usage?
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 364-9100