[Xastir] Still getting crashes

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 30 10:28:11 EST 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Jack Reilly wrote:

> {DEC 26	6:45 AM }
> Found an existing lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 for this port!
> Lock is stale!  Removing it.

That's most likely due to the fact that the program crashed before,
leaving the lock file in place.  Doesn't hurt anything.  It's just
informative.

> jacrei@#:~/APRS/XASTIR/CVS/xastir>
> interface.c:port_write(1):pthread_mutex_lock(&lock->lock) == EINVAL
> Forgot to initialize the mutex object...
> Returning 1 to calling thread
> write_lock, Port = 1

This would be a very bad thing if really true.  I haven't seen a
problem with mutex locks in a very long time.  Can you tell me what
you were doing at the time, and which windows were open?

> {Dec 26 9:40 AM  Xastir CRASH}
>  jacrei@#:~/APRS/XASTIR/CVS/xastir> X Error of failed request:  BadValue
> (integer parameter out of range for operation)
> Major opcode of failed request:  58 (X_SetDashes)
>  Value in failed request:  0x0
> Serial number of failed request:  20873515
>  Current serial number in output stream:  20873516

This ones isn't particulary informative or useful.  It's typically
non-fatal.

What sort of map files are you using?  Were you zooming/panning at
the time?  Do you have station tracking enabled, Station Info dialog
up with "Enabled Automatic Updates" checked, or perhaps weather
alerts enabled?  I'm just looking for some reason that maps are
being redrawn while you're not at the console.  Anything else that
might have caused map redraws?  Using internet maps with a refresh
tag in the .geo file?

The Station Info dialog thing might be another issue:  It used to be
buggy a long time back.  I haven't played with it recently.

Did you ever run the memtest86 program for a number of hours on that
system?  I'd still highly recommend doing that.  An unstable system
could still be the source of all/most of these problems, and it's
worth knocking it off the list of possibilities.