[Xastir] linux question

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Feb 7 12:14:46 EST 2003

On 7 Feb 2003, brenda wrote:

> my question was meant to be more general...
> i can always do "locate xastir"
> and delete them all.
> but, what about other software????
> i'm getting the impression that there isn't an uninstall standard for
> software installed from source.

I've just been prowling around the 'net looking for info on autoconf
and the other GNU build tools.  Per GNU, "make uninstall" is
supposed to be one of the standard Makefile tags.  Whether or not
most software follows this, who know...

I've seen a lot of software that uses the "configure" mechanism
follow this standard.  I think the tools uses to start such a
project automatically create such tags.

A lot of software that just uses a Makefile does not, probably
because they started with somebody else's Makefile and just tweaked
it to fit their program.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin