[Xastir] PocketAPRS maps

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 10 16:45:23 EST 2003

Here's a copy of a note I just sent to Mike Musick of PocketAPRS fame.
I thought the group might be interested as well.  Thanks again to Curt
for fixing the labels so quickly.  Maybe add this screenshot to the ones
already on the Xastir website.

Thanks for the prompt shipment of the mapping disk.

One of my primary uses I'm planning for it is it's utility with Xastir,
the open source APRS package that works under UNIX, MacOS, and now
Cygwin for Windows.

Here's a picture that you may not have seen, I put all v2.5 and v3.0
files from the CD into the maps/PalmMaps directory (along with the
canadian and some european maps).  Went to the map chooser and simply
selected that entire directory.  One of the features of Xastir is that
it currently only loads the maps you need based on the map extents.  So
if the zoom factor is set low and you are only looking at local
features, it only takes the time to load the local (city) or state map
that is required.  I pulled out and shot this screen cap of most of
North America to see a complete picture of all the state, city, and
provincial maps working together to form the big picture.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/buckeyebeemers/Pocketmaps.snapshot.png

Thanks

Dick Reichenbach - KC8OBZ