[Xastir] New configure.ac script - RPM upgrades

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Feb 18 10:46:30 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> If you don't tweak the source the binaries won't be any different to
> somebody else's. Just compiling it yourself doesn't tailor it for your
> system.

Mostly true.

Running "configure" on each system figures out which extra map
libraries you may or may not have, and figures out which OS you're
running.

That data is then used to enable/disable sections of the code via
#ifdef's to tailor the binary for each system.

So each compile definitely can be different.  It's up to the
configure script to be properly written so that these system
differences are properly reflected in the compiled code.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin