[Xastir] Filtering for Weather

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 22 12:20:25 EST 2003

On 21 Feb 2003, Gerry Wheeler wrote:

> I have been using the range or area filter, so I just see stations in a
> local area.
>
> But I wasn't getting the weather stuff. So I added "t/n" to the filter
> string to get the NWS weather information. After that I started seeing
> the county alerts.
>
> But I wasn't sure if I was getting the storm watch and warning boxes. So
> I changed that to "t/nw" to get NWS and general weather information.
> Shortly after that, a watch box showed up, but of course I can't tell if
> it was the change to the filter that caused it or not.
>
> So, does anybody know what Type filter I need to see the watch boxes? Is
> "t/n" sufficient? Or do I need "t/nw"? Thanks.

Sorry, I can't help much.  Here's how I would attack it though:
Empty your log file, then turn on logging.  Set up filtering.
Connect to the server and stay connected for a while.  Shut off the
connection and logging.  Rename the log file to correspond to the
filtering you just did.  Set up for the next test.

If you keep careful notes about it and pay attention to doing things
in the proper order, you can then grep through the log files looking
for the things of interest.

Once you find out what works/doesn't work, send notes off to the
guy(s) doing the filtering asking them to change their docs to
correspond.  Perhaps you might even ask them to change the filtering
algorithm based on what you find out.  I suspect that knocking out
weather alerts and severe weather alerts by default isn't what they
had in mind, particularly because those are usually low-traffic
packets.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer