[Xastir] UGH!!! Shapefiles?

Scott Clark scott.clark at sitel.com
Thu Jan 9 14:59:43 EST 2003

I'm a Linux engineer by trade - and strangely, I'm having the hardest time
getting Xastir to work properly!!

Started with Red Hat 8.0 opn my laptop running smoothly.  Had so much
trouble with gcc (not just xastir - but LOTS of source code) that I reverted
to a fresh 7.3 installation.

I get version 1.3 to compile fine - except the configure script says "NO" to
building with shapelib support.  Strange, because I've compiled shapelib,
made sure the library paths are correct & available, yet the Configure
script flies right on by.  Figuring maybe the config script was as out of
date as much of the documentation, I ran xastir and discovered the Shapelib
support did not make it into the build.

So I downloaded the mandrake RPM of 1.1.  It installs and runs fine!  I go
to Map Chooser, there's my maps that I got from ESRI - I choose one, or two,
or three, and I get the "Loading Maps" message.  And I'm returned to a nice
blank grid.  What am I missing?  Iv'e read every piece of documentation I
can find on xastir, searched for a good 4 hours on Google for similar
complaints.  I'm a HUGE fan of open source and have never been this
confounded by unclear documentation in my life!

I nkow that xastir's a good program - I've used a non-shapelib version for
months at home with my Peet Bros. U2000 weather station.  Right now I've got
a TNC & Radio sitting waiting on me to be able to get Shapelib support so I
can finish my workstation.  I also chase balloons for NSTAR in Nebraska and
that's why I need the shapelib support.

Can anyone offer some advice before I have to revert to the worst operating
system in the world?!?!?!?!?

H E L P!!

Scott - KC0MTH

Scott D. Clark