[Xastir] UGH!!! Shapefiles?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Jan 9 15:14:27 EST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Scott Clark wrote:

> I get version 1.3 to compile fine - except the configure script says "NO" to
> building with shapelib support.  Strange, because I've compiled shapelib,
> made sure the library paths are correct & available, yet the Configure
> script flies right on by.  Figuring maybe the config script was as out of
> date as much of the documentation, I ran xastir and discovered the Shapelib
> support did not make it into the build.

    "rm config.cache;./configure" ?

> So I downloaded the mandrake RPM of 1.1.  It installs and runs fine!  I go
> to Map Chooser, there's my maps that I got from ESRI - I choose one, or two,
> or three, and I get the "Loading Maps" message.  And I'm returned to a nice
> blank grid.  What am I missing?  Iv'e read every piece of documentation I
> can find on xastir, searched for a good 4 hours on Google for similar
> complaints.  I'm a HUGE fan of open source and have never been this
> confounded by unclear documentation in my life!

Let's get this solved, you tell us where it went wrong, and we'll
fix the documentation.  That way the next person to come along won't
have this particular problem.  Anyone who wants to help fix or add
to the documentation is very welcome to do so.  Just send it to us.

I've always installed Shapelib from sources and never had any
problems with it.  That's on SuSE Linux, several versions.  I've
never tried it from RPM's.

Are you getting any warning messages in the xterm that you started
Xastir from?

Are you loading Shapefile polygon maps and want the areas filled?
You'll need to go into "Map Chooser->Properties" and select that
option for those maps.  Also make sure that "Maps->Enable Area Color
Fills" is pushed.

Perhaps you have other maps selected that are raster maps or filled
and are obscuring the Shapefile maps due to the map layering?  You
can select the map layer for each map in "Map Chooser->Properties"
as well.

> Can anyone offer some advice before I have to revert to the worst operating
> system in the world?!?!?!?!?

Them's fightin' words...   ;-)

Try/check some of the above and check back.  I'm sure we'll come up
with more ideas if you're still having problems.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin