[Xastir] UGH!!! Shapefiles?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Thu Jan 9 15:21:24 EST 2003

On 1/9/03 at 1:59 PM scott.clark at sitel.com (Scott Clark) sent:

>So I downloaded the mandrake RPM of 1.1.  It installs and runs fine!  I go
>to Map Chooser, there's my maps that I got from ESRI - I choose one, or two,
>or three, and I get the "Loading Maps" message.  And I'm returned to a nice
>blank grid.  What am I missing?  Iv'e read every piece of documentation I
>can find on xastir, searched for a good 4 hours on Google for similar
>complaints.  I'm a HUGE fan of open source and have never been this
>confounded by unclear documentation in my life!
>
>I nkow that xastir's a good program - I've used a non-shapelib version for
>months at home with my Peet Bros. U2000 weather station.  Right now I've got
>a TNC & Radio sitting waiting on me to be able to get Shapelib support so I
>can finish my workstation.  I also chase balloons for NSTAR in Nebraska and
>that's why I need the shapelib support.

One thing I noted when looking at the configure script, one of the libraries, I
forget if it is ImageMagick or shapelib, is searched for at a fixed directory,
it does not use the usual configure method of finding a location, which causes a
problem with Mac OS X, where non-standard libraries are in a different place,
(/sw/lib/) than other distributions. When I bypassed the search code and
hardcoded that the library was found, it compiled and ran correctly.

Steve K4HG