[Xastir] What does "local" mean?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jan 10 14:26:19 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> I'll disagree here in one particular case:  mobile stations.  If I'm
> driving across the country and pass by your house, you'll receive me
> via digipeater at first, then directly, then via digipeater.  I am only
> a local station to you when you receive me locally.  If I'm then two
> hundred miles distant, I'm no longer local.  Stationary stations
> received directly, sure, they should never be flagged as "not local"
> just because you also receive a digipeated packet of theirs.  But
> mobile stations are a different thing altogether.

Perhaps let the aging thing take out locally heard station bits?
That would solve that particular problem, but you'd need a time_t
for that feature then.  Just store a time_t instead of an int, and
check that field in the expire stations code, resetting it if the
time_t has hit the expire-from-database time (which I think is twice
the remove-from-screen time?).

> Curt> If he didn't, he wouldn't be Bill...
>
> Curt> We could add checks for weird stuff like that I suppose.  Look
> Curt> for n-N where n < N and toss them (with respect to setting the
> Curt> "LOCAL" bit only).
>
> That sounds reasonable.  If people want to be bizarre, that's their
> own thing.  No need to support their unusual habits. :-)

Minor blurb support of Bill:  He's not bizarre, he's very helpful,
pushing the envelope all the time.  Not to be hurtful, but to see
what happens.  Then he changes his operation based on that and tries
to get others to do the same.

Just so we know we're not picking on Bill here...  ;-)

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin