[Xastir] What does "local" mean?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jan 10 13:46:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 BobDonnell at arkalmus.com wrote:

> Another consideration is that you need to set this flag at the time that
> the packet in question is parsed, and to not clear the flag if a
> digipeat of a packet sourced by that station is later heard.  The flag
> should only be cleared when the station's record is deleted, or in the
> event a 'clear local' menu item is implemented.  No - that's NOT a
> feature request - at least not from ME!

Agreed.  It should be a one-way trip through the life of that Xastir
instance:  If the bit gets set, saying that the station was heard
locally, it should not get reset.  At _some_ point, the station was
heard locally:  Could be a fluke, could be normal propagation,
doesn't matter.

> Parsing the digipeater field for WIDEx-y where x=y also depends on the
> originating station playing "by the rules" by setting x=y in their
> unproto path.  There's nothing in most TNC firmware (any?) that enforces
> that entry.  So a station could set their path to be via WIDE2-7 and
> it'd be within the protocol, but would spoof Xastir into believing that
> stations that are 5 hops out are local.  Curt:  I'd expect Bill, WA7NWP
> to try this later this afternoon...

If he didn't, he wouldn't be Bill...

We could add checks for weird stuff like that I suppose.  Look for
n-N where n < N and toss them (with respect to setting the "LOCAL"
bit only).

Getting all this Jack?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin