[Xastir] New user...

Mark Dieterich n2pgd at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 19:31:28 EST 2003

Well Folks,

After trying to use WinAPRS to run my Igate, I'm completely fed up and
have made the switch to Xastir!  I have a few questions for you that I
haven't been able to figure out yet, so here they go:

- Is there a way to pull up a record off all the messages I've
sent/received to my station?  I see a way of viewing all message
traffic, but there doesn't appear to be a way of applying a filter to
that stream.  I also have gotten popups when I send/receive a message,
but once I close this, I can never seem to get it back again.  Am I just
missing something?

- I looked through the archives and couldn't find anything about this
problem, so I'll be brave and bring it up.  Has anybody else had
problems with Xastir freezing/getting stuck in a read loop?  I'm running
it configured with a local TNC (Kantronics KAM) using the
tnc-startup.sys, an internet connection to first.aprs.net:23, and Tiger
Maps.  Running an strace on the process returns that it is stuck in some
sort of read loop, but I can't tell where.  I've just restarted the
program (not the machine thank you very much windows!) and am trying to
use the tnc-startup.kam.  I've also turned on TNC and Igate logging,
perhaps I can figure out what it was doing if it freezes again.

- I also have a problem when the program starts up if the
TIGERMAP_INTESITY is set to 50.  The program complains about an invalid
intensity and sets the intensity back to the default 100.

Hopefully I can actually be more help in the future and require less
support!  From what I have seen, it's a great product and far more
stable than WinAPRS once it connects to the internet.  I've had a copy
up and runing at work, just the internet stream for a couple of weeks now.

73,

Mark