[Xastir] nws-stations.txt

KC7ZRU - Tate kc7zru at arrl.net
Thu Jan 30 00:31:47 EST 2003

"Curt Mills, WE7U" wrote:

> More America'isms...
>

> IGUP was explained to me during the last go-around with this.  I
> think it's a beacon sent out periodically over RF that let's
> stations in the area know that they're within range of a functional
> Igate.

Pretty durn Close - in fact close enough to not really require being
filled in, but me being a ham and all....

The IGUP beacon is a posit report sent into the APRS-IS by N7XUC in
Laramie, Wyoming. This came about, tangentially, as part of the HamHUD
project. 'Hudders' were curious to know if the area they were traveling
in had functional I-gate coverage or not. The IGUP beacons are sent
about every 10 minutes or so into the APRS-IS. An I-gate that's
configured to gate the IGUP posit from NET->RF is in essence
'advertising' that it has functional connectivity to the APRS-IS (since
that's the only way to get the IGUP beacon). The assumption then is, any
RF traffic sent near the time the IGUP beacon was seen will make it back
to the APRS-IS.

This IGUP beacon is seen as a third party packet on the RF side, so any
other I-gate seeing it on it's RF side will not gate it back into the
APRS-IS.

The IGUP beacon, though not as widely spread as other 'stuff', nor is it
assured the letters I.G.U.P. will communicate the same everywhere, is
usable in any country.

http://map.findu.com/igup

73

--