[Xastir] HSP Cable Problem

Stephen West-Fisher steve at coastaldatasystems.com
Wed Jul 2 20:10:16 EDT 2003

Here I go again.
Having sucessfully built a cable before, but had it quit working, I just
decided to bite the bullet and buy a Kantronics cable. After work I
quickly put the connector on for the GPS and hooked it up to my laptop.
Something is not quite correct. Here is what's happening:

GPS connection is fine, I see that the station is moving around a little
in the station info box. Transmit is fine, just go lookup KQ4NO-6, and
that's where I am.

However, I'm not receiving any other stations. When I view incomming
packet data, it is blank. The Rcv light is working on the TNC, and if I
close xastir and start minicom, I see packets from the TNC.

I may well have something misconfigured. I'm using the HSP setup option
with 4800 8N1 in both xastir and minicom. I'm using the default
tnc-startup.sys.

This is Debian 3,0 (woody), and a KPC3 (not the plus). Do I need to set
anything anywhere for the hardware control to work?

Also, is there anyway for me to test the cable? I would have thought if
the cable was the problem, the GPS side wouldn't work since the computer
to TNC part was already put together.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems