[Xastir] Today's activities

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 9 00:57:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Just for fun, you might want to snag the track for n5jxs-8 from FindU.
> This afternoon, WB5BBW and I loaded up 3 PC's (1 Windows, 2 Linux) and
> set off to do some testing.  I was tracking and linked into the network
> using a Sierra Wireless AirNet 550 1xRTT card; Kurt was doing large-file
> transfers (800k-10M) using similar hardware, under Windows and Linux.
>
> While I was driving between Conroe and Huntsville, TX, on Interstate 45,
> I did a CVS update, and compiled, installed and restarted xastir.  To
> the latest CVS.

Leave it to Gerry to take Geekiness to a new level...  Sorry, but
that's just TOO COOL!  One of these days I'll have to start studying
wireless and figure out how I can have internet connectivity as well
while mobile.  Being able to update Xastir while out and about is
nice, but being able to grab a different map or two while mobile, or
check out the latest radar maps, would be a big plus.  Just running
with internet maps in TrackMe mode would be cool, if the transfer
rate was decent.

> Curt, the redraw stuff is cool.

Yea, but I think some fine-tuning is still necessary.

> All the while, we were following our progress on the local GPS attached
> via serial port.  And viewing the results using Tigermaps with all the
> bells and whistles turned on.

I've been doing that recently as well.  Came up with another list of
things that I want to add/change because of it.  Was on a mission
yesterday/today where I used Xastir in TrackMe mode while mobile.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer