[Xastir] Xastir falling asleep?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jul 9 16:49:13 EDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> I've had 3 episodes, now, of the current (plus/minus 2 days) cvs xastir
> sleeping after extended periods... Desktop/RH9/stable everything before
> this.  We're also seeing cpu and memory usage spike when a connection is
> lost via internet to a server.  After the George's question a couple of
> days ago, I started looking.  I'm spiking cpu util. at 20% if 2 or more
> connections are lost (I'm on a flakey ISDN connection), and if n>4, it's
> really spooky.  I've not been able to correlate similar data drops with
> the sleeping issue, though it seems likely to be related.

When it does this, is it one thread that is using lots of CPU, and
the others are using zero?

Perhaps one thread for each lost connection plus the main thread
area all using CPU?

It could be the waits that we have at the end of the loops.
UpdateTime() runs fairly quickly, but shouldn't be doing much if
there aren't any inputs.

The read threads for each interface may be looping very quickly when
a connection is lost.

If could sort a "top" listing by memory usage, all of the Xastir
threads should be grouped together.  Usually the lowest numbered
process would be the main thread.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin