[Xastir] Feature tweak? proximity sound alerts.

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Wed Jul 9 20:31:08 EDT 2003

It isn't really an issue for me now since I moved and the nearest Aprs
station other than my vehicle is about 30 miles away but at my last
residence I noticed a severe limitation in Xastir's proximity alerts. I
didn't mention it before since you guys were working on the stable release
for so long.

The main feature other than multiple map windows that I like about Winaprs
is the way they do proximity alerts.  You can select which station or
stations you want to sound the alerts instead of any and all
stations.  This limitation was very obvious where I used to live and had a
home station about 1200 feet from my location.  I could not use proximity
alerts with xastir without hearing the alert every 30 minutes when that
station would TX.

Before I ran across Xastir and used Winaprs it was very handy to select my
truck for proximity alerts so my wife could tell when I was almost home
from work etc.

I'm not sure which would be easier to implement but I'd like to see either
a way to filter out certain stations from the alerts or have it selectable
by station.