[Xastir] xastir doesn't see anything over port 8000 ...

KC7ZRU - Tate kc7zru at arrl.net
Mon Jul 14 00:06:25 EDT 2003

Orrin Winton wrote:
> Gerry, OK can you tell me what config file(s) in RH i
> would check for that?  And i still don't know if what is
> blocking port 80 will affect xastir on port 8000.

To disable the netfilter firewall for Redhat (2.4 kernel distros)

run:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop

That'll shut your firewall OFF

(At this point, check your system - see if things're now working for
you. If so, then you've very likley found your problem and continue on.
If not - just re-run the above command but change 'stop' to 'start' to
restart your firewall using the stored config. Time to look elsewhere
for your problem.)

Then, as root, run:
setup

Scroll down to the System Services tab - hit enter, then scroll down to
iptables - uncheck it's box. This will prevent the stored netfilter
configuration from being sent to the kernel by iptables at the next boot
up, leaving all policies as 'ACCEPT' and no chains in any table.

You're done turning it off and keeping it off over a re-boot.

Now, if you want a firewall (and netfilter is *very* good!) - there are
several good online guides as well as 'ready made' scripts to configure
netfilter with iptables.

Find good rulesets (scripts) at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/unix?topic=fwrules
At the LEAST, these are excellent starting points.

Find an excellent iptables/netfilter tutorial at:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

With these tools, most anyone should be able to setup a good, customized
netfilter firewall.

73

--
         "The Dungeon" online at http://go.to/kc7zru