[Xastir] xastir doesn't see anything over port 8000 ...

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jul 14 16:39:13 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Orrin Winton wrote:

> Curt Mills wrote:
> >
> >Turn off the security features of AGWPE, if you have those going.
>
> I can't seem to find an agwpe dialog to do that.
> Security features.

I can't remember what it's called in AGWPE, and don't have any
system where I can test that right now.  It's the area where you
tell it to restrict connections to only that machine, only machines
on your LAN, or all machines.  You have the option to add
usernames/passwords there as well.

You can turn off all security and just let people connect to port
8000.  That's what you need to do as the username/password stuff
isn't working in Xastir w.r.t. AGWPE interfaces.  I'll have to try
again some day, but I tried pretty hard last time and couldn't get
the code to work.

> >You might also remove your Pass-code from the Properties box for
> >that interface in Xastir.
>
> OK, i found that.  There's no pass-code entered.
>
> I'm telling it that the host is 192.168.0.1 (my
> Windows box running agwpe) port 8000.  I get a note
> on the xastir task bar that says "connected to
> 192.168.0.1" and i notice that the "Interface
> control" dialog says "Device 0 Networked AGWPE
> connecting to 192.168.0.1:8000 and is UP".  The
> "Display Packet Data" dialog shows nothing coming in.
> Again, this is after i set my iptables wide open
> (temporarily) to see if the firewall was blocking
> anything.

This sounds like the AGWPE security thing.  If you have
usernames/passwords required in AGWPE, Xastir can't negotiate it, so
you'll get a connect, but no packets will ever come through.

> Then i run IPTools on the Windows box to monitor ports,
> and one line there says that 192.168.0.1 (Windows) is
> connected on 8000 to 192.168.0.10 (Linux) port 1096.
> (This latter port number is different each time i
> connect the two machines for running xastir/agwpe.)

The outgoing port should change every time.  That's normal for IP
networking.  It's the "listener" port that has to be at a known
location in order to find it, in this case port 8000.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin