[Xastir] how do I?

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Tue Jul 15 04:49:09 EDT 2003

Hi Wes,

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 01:27 AM, wes at johnston.net wrote:

> We've been talking in this area about running remote TNCs for receiving
> packets, tunneling them thru the net to a WIDE we're about to install.
>  AGWPE
> first came to mind... to have the WIDE seek out a connection with two
> or more
> TNCs in the area and just use them as remote ears.  They would not
> transmit.
> The wide node would run xastir.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?  A way which would not depend on a
> windows
> box?

You could run small unix boxes at each of the TNC's running aprsd.
Connect to APRSD's RAW TNC port from the Xastir node via the network.
I'm not sure Xastir would gate the packets properly though.

Another option would be to run small linux boxes at each TNC with
kernel AX25.  Use the RXECHO program and kernel ax25 to pass all radio
traffic back to the xastir box via axip links.

Another option could be to run small unix boxes at the TNCs.  Use
something like "ssh -C remote.host tip tnc > /dev/ttypa" (or whatever
linux uses for pseudo ttys) and feed the other part of the pseudo tty
to xastir.

Plenty of ways to skin this cat. :)

Carl.