[Xastir] New code testing

Stephen West-Fisher steve at coastaldatasystems.com
Wed Jul 23 08:06:43 EDT 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> I just did a multiple-hour excursion last night, running with a
> Serial GPS interface only (no RF) while hunting for houses.  I had
> not segfaults, everything ran smoothly, and the system stayed up for
> the entire time from about 5:00pm to about 11:30pm in TrackMe mode.
> I created a shapefile from my track when I was all done so I could
> view the track later.
>
> It could be stray RF.  It could be problems with memory, CPU, or
> heat.  It could also have something to do with killer strings
> created because of the HSP interface munging GPS and APRS packets
> together.
>
> If it's killer packets, we should be able to do something about it.
> We just need a way to re-create the problem: If we can do that, we
> can fix it.
>
> Have you run memory/CPU tests on those machines before?  Are they
> ultra-reliable?
>
> Were you using HSP interfaces when these segfaults happened?
>
> Did you try lower RF power or unplugging the radio to see if the
> problems went away?

HSP all the time into a DJ580, magmount antenna on the roof.
Yes, the laptop is reliable, but slow.

I'll be testing again in my truck later this week on the same routes.

I still think it is the combination of slow laptop/map redraw/low zoom
level since a longer trip at higher zoom had no faults. My thoughts are
that the map needs redrawn, so a redraw is started. By the time the map
redraw is finished, I'm off the edge again. Due to screen aspect ratio
this happens more on north/south routes. This really only happens at
higher speeds, when I'm on streets at less than about 50mph, it doesn't
seem to happen.
--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems