[Xastir] New code testing

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jul 22 17:46:33 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

> First, I did have a couple of Segfaults in fixed station mode, I have
> the logs and I'll send tails later (I cannot get to that machine just now).
>
> Mobile usage. segfauts were still pretty high on my slow laptop, but I
> was able to find out some more specifics. They ALL occured during map
> draws, trackme mode, zoom level 16. I also noticed they were much more
> prevalent when I was going North or South. I'm woundering if there is a
> problem with the map being redrawn, and then my current position still
> being off the map? This was more likely to occur at higher speeds, and
> as I said, in North/South directons.
>
> So, I had more trips. Zoomed out to level 32. No segfaults on several
> hour trips at speeds of up to 75mph. I have to admit this was a
> different vehicle, so stray RF could be different, but I'll be checking
> that later this week in my truck.

I just did a multiple-hour excursion last night, running with a
Serial GPS interface only (no RF) while hunting for houses.  I had
not segfaults, everything ran smoothly, and the system stayed up for
the entire time from about 5:00pm to about 11:30pm in TrackMe mode.
I created a shapefile from my track when I was all done so I could
view the track later.

It could be stray RF.  It could be problems with memory, CPU, or
heat.  It could also have something to do with killer strings
created because of the HSP interface munging GPS and APRS packets
together.

If it's killer packets, we should be able to do something about it.
We just need a way to re-create the problem: If we can do that, we
can fix it.

Have you run memory/CPU tests on those machines before?  Are they
ultra-reliable?

Were you using HSP interfaces when these segfaults happened?

Did you try lower RF power or unplugging the radio to see if the
problems went away?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin