[Xastir] 100% CPU Usage

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Jul 24 12:35:14 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2003, George wrote:
>
> > OK, I have found what is causing XASTIR to use 100% cpu and locking up.
> > It happens when I try to use festival for speech.
> >
> > I hope this helps in tracking down the problem.
>
> I forwarded that on to the Festival guy.
>
> Have you had Festival working before?  Is it working now but just
> taking excessive CPU?  What OS and version are you running, and
> where did you get the Festival code from?  Compile it yourself, or
> install from RPM's?
>
> Just curious whether this is something new that broke in the code,
> or perhaps this is a first time trying Festival kind of thing, where
> it could be Festival or network setup problem.

It looks like there's a built-in 60 second delay between each socket
open to Festival.  If it successfully connects to Festival, it keeps
the socket open and just sends data through it as necessary.  It
seems unlikely that Xastir is spinning it's wheels trying to connect
to Festival.

Do you have Festival support compiled in, and is Xastir complaining
about not being able to connect to Festival?  This is what I get if
Festival isn't running:

    festival_client: connect to server failed
    SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

If not, are you on an internet feed and perhaps asked Festival to do
speech output on new stations?  If so, perhaps Festival is crunching
on the data, creating speech, and for some reason you're not hearing
it.  An internet feed will cause Festival to get way behind in its
processing.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin