[Xastir] New code testing

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Thu Jul 24 14:49:38 EDT 2003

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > > In a way it's operation that I expect, having Xastir ignore GPS
> > > input while it's busy doing other things.  I suspect with radio
> > > interfaces it's not such a problem, as they'll queue up and get
> > > serviced if/when Xastir isn't busy anymore.
> > >

> > Nope, it is the main thread blocked, my track at home shows the posits
> > were not queued to the radio... it did not have them from the gps to
> > queue...
>
> Yes, it's definitely the main thread blocked.  That thread does the
> map drawing.  There is exactly one string variable that the
> interface threads dump data into, and the main thread has to pick up
> the data there and decode it.  If map drawing is happening, the main
> thread isn't doing anything else.  The interface threads will block
> as soon as the first one dumps data into the variable and waits on
> the main thread to decode it.
>
> What I'm talking about as far as queueing is the serial ports and
> the OS drivers for them.  They'll queue up the serial _receive_ data
> and Xastir will process it as it has time.

Yep.

> The outgoing packets will definitely be halted completely during map
> drawing, but I think that's mostly ok.  Just be aware that if you're
> running at high zoom levels and the machine is completely busy
> drawing maps, you're not going to TX/RX as you expect until it
> becomes less busy.  I was going to say un-busy, but I know that's
> not correct.
>

> > One little thought, maybe we could update the indicators on the status
> > line when the key is processed, even though it is pending, thus we
> > have visual confirmation of the action.
>
> What sort of visual confirmation would be good?  Coloring in the
> background of one of the status bar rectangles?  Is the "busy"
> cursor not adequate or perhaps doesn't update quickly enough or at
> the correct times?

Oh, I was just thinking about updating the "zoom x" box with the "new"
value, the cursor position might be harder?  The busy cursor is fine.

> > I am leaving for hawaii tomorrow for a week, with no net or RF access,
> > so will be quietly coding for a bit! :)
>
> My wife would shoot me if I brought any kind of computer gear to
> Hawaii.  I'm not even sure whether I could get away with a PDA.
> Well, she'd shoot me if she caught me with them anyway.  Doesn't
> mean I wouldn't try.

I have a new excuse... digital underwater camera (in a housing), that
I have to clear out the memory for the next day.  It is also totally
cool to look at all the pictures every night!  No more 1-hour photo,
instant gratification!  I even bring the composite video cable, so we
can do a slide show on the TV.  As usual, test before the audience
shows up... unmlike my last trip... oops.  Good thing the laptop has a
big screen!

Now, if only GPS worked underwater... I tried.  About 2 inches of
water completely absorb the sat signals.  I would love to have geo
tags on the pics... :) Hmm... SSTV from a towed float?

Chris.