[Xastir] New code testing

James Jefferson jj at aprsworld.net
Thu Jul 24 19:04:10 EDT 2003

On Thursday 24 July 2003 05:14 pm, you wrote:
> Optical grade Epoxy ?? Tell me more.

1-800-Epoxies :-)
http://www.epoxies.com/tech/20-3238R.pdf
http://www.epoxies.com/potting.htm

Switchcraft makes nice gold plated connectors that are supposedly waterproof.
I could use those topside.

My thought would to just make the display the waterproof part. Use a backlit
LCD with and a E-Lab serial to LCD controller. Just have serial out, ground,
and +12 volts go underwater. The circuitry would be the e-lab controller,
lcd, and 5 volt regulator. Minimal stuff to break and be forever untouchable
in the potting compound. Set the thing in a good chunk of potting compound
and attach a lanyard to it so I can clip it to my BCD. Perhaps use CAT5 with
Kevlar pull string inside it so it could be the data cable as well as the
line to the flag.

On the surface would be the smart stuff to make the LCD show something useful.
Probably have a PIC or similar microcontroller that alternates between
showing my course, speed, date, distance and bearing to what I selected
topside.

'would be a fun project.

-Jim KB0THN

PS - then I would hook the D7 to the Etrex and transmit my position to my
Xastir station. Now we are back on topic. :-)