[Xastir] .png file movement to WebServer?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jul 28 12:34:02 EDT 2003

On 26 Jul 2003, Rich Garcia wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the best way to transfer files from my Xastir machine
> to my web server machine? I know I can do ftp if I install it on that
> box but I was thinking that since these are all on my internal network
> it would probably be better to just mount the drives and have the file
> saved just as if it were on this PC.
>
> Running RH9 for xastir and RH 7.3 on the ClarkConnect distro which is my
> firewall/server. I am starting to get my WX/APRS page together locally
> and I think I have everything down except for moving the files from one
> machine to the other. Instead of cron jobs which would be fine for
> occasional transfers I am looking for something easyer/permanent. I have
> read the man pages on mount but I can't make heads or tails of it.

There are several ways.  If you want to mount drives back and forth,
that works fine.  There can be some minor problems with that if one
machine goes down while another machine is accessing the drive.
There can be some security holes with this one if that's a concern.

You can set up an ftp server on one machine and ftp the file(s)
across to the other.  Possible security holes.

You can set up ssh/openssh on both machines and use scp to copy
files across.  Possible security holes unless running later
versions.

You can use rsh to copy files across.  Note that there are major
security holes with this one.

Another way to do it would be to run a web server on both, and have
your web pages on the main web server machine point to the Xastir
snapshot on the other machine.

If both machines are inside your firewall and you and/or your family
are the only users, there's not a real problem with security via any
of these methods.

Others will probably come up with yet more methods.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin