[Xastir] Baycom

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Tue Jun 10 09:16:14 EDT 2003

Hallo Christian

At 19:11 9-6-03 +0200, Christian F1GWR wrote:
>OK Henk, I'll forget my Baycom modem. BTW did you think about association
>of Xastir and your fantastic DigiNed? Or is it already possible " in a
>simple way"?

On DOS it is no issue (since it is not multitasking anyway) and for Linux
it is also easy since the AX.25 network interfaces can be used by multiple
clients, so Xastir and DIGI_NED (and APRSD) can run ajacent on the same
interface.

For a MAC its a different story. There is no kernel AX.25 support and
without modification you can't run DIGI_NED on the MAC (unless DIGI_NED and
TSR run in the PC emulator?). What is required to be able to run on a MAC
is a modified implementation of "mac_if.c". Currently there are 2 compile
options, one is to talk to a TSR used in DOS and the other is to talk to
the kernel AX.25 support for Linux. What needs to be added, is to be able
to use direct I/O to a TTY port with KISS data. If that is done then you
can also run DIGI_NED on the MAC. When that is done it is not so difficult
to let DIGI_NED and Xastir use the same TNC by making use of some pseudo TTY's.

Currently it can only be done by using The Force: "modify the source"...

Kind regards,

Henk.