[Xastir] Feature bloat?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Sun Jun 15 12:39:37 EDT 2003

On 6/15/03 at 8:59 AM archer at eskimo.com (Curt Mills, WE7U) sent:

>> Actually, it'd probably be better to do this on a packet by packet basis...if
>> any particular packet is heard but not digied, then digi it. I think digi-ned
>> has this capability, but not sure.
>
>Around here we have WideN-n digi's, and we encourage strongly that
>home stations not run as WIDE's unless it's been coordinated and
>unless they're in an excellent location not served by other WIDE's.
>Of course what you're talking about is _slightly_ different, but
>still if the home station is not in an excellent location, it would
>serve better as a RELAY than as a WIDE.
>
>I think I have a shot at 3 or 4 WIDE's from where I live.  As long
>as you have a shot at 2, and one goes down, you can fill in for a
>small area just as a RELAY.
>
>Ever looked at the PHG circle for a typical house station?  It
>doesn't extend out very far.

That's not the point, doesn't matter if you have a hundred digis and a home
reception range of one mile. If a home station hears a packet, and no one else
does, why not digi it? Think of it as a smart RELAY...

>> Certainly useful would this same feature in an IGate, AFAIK, there is none
that
>> do it, but would be nice if a secondary IGate would not gate a packet if any
>> other IGate already put it onto RF...
>
>Ummm.... Xastir has this last feature.  It has a dupe queue just for
>igating->RF.  If a packet already was gated to RF, Xastir won't.

How long does it wait before transmitting? If it sends right away, then this
implementation accomplishes nothing. Is there a way to designate primary vs
secondary IGates? A primary IGate ought to transmit immediately, only the
secondaries should wait. Is there a random delay? If not, multiple Xastirs could
be transmit at the same time.

Steve K4HG