[Xastir] Feature bloat?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 11:59:06 EDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Steve Dimse wrote:

> Actually, it'd probably be better to do this on a packet by packet basis...if
> any particular packet is heard but not digied, then digi it. I think digi-ned
> has this capability, but not sure.

Around here we have WideN-n digi's, and we encourage strongly that
home stations not run as WIDE's unless it's been coordinated and
unless they're in an excellent location not served by other WIDE's.
Of course what you're talking about is _slightly_ different, but
still if the home station is not in an excellent location, it would
serve better as a RELAY than as a WIDE.

I think I have a shot at 3 or 4 WIDE's from where I live.  As long
as you have a shot at 2, and one goes down, you can fill in for a
small area just as a RELAY.

Ever looked at the PHG circle for a typical house station?  It
doesn't extend out very far.

> Certainly useful would this same feature in an IGate, AFAIK, there is none that
> do it, but would be nice if a secondary IGate would not gate a packet if any
> other IGate already put it onto RF...

Ummm.... Xastir has this last feature.  It has a dupe queue just for
igating->RF.  If a packet already was gated to RF, Xastir won't.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer