[Xastir] Re: Map Drawing Tweaks

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 20 01:19:34 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Bob Snyder wrote:

> I haven't looked at the source, but does incoming net data come in via
> the main thread too?

Yes and no.

> I ask because I've had my connection to an
> (admittedly busy) APRS server dropped by doing too many map zoom/moves.
> I watched the Recv-q grow larger and larger while it was redrawing, and
> when it was done, it'd lost the connection.

Yes.  Each interface ends up with a read thread and a write thread,
but there's still a bottleneck because all of the packet decoding is
done in the main thread.  Same thread as the GUI and map drawing are
performed in.

> Getting net connections into a separate thread would be a plus because
> of issues like this. Threads good. :-)

Yes.  Threads good.

A temporary solution might be to move the decoding into it's own
thread.  There'd still be a bottleneck that way, but it would only be
between the various interfaces, and not directly linked to the map
drawing.

At this point though it might be better to head off in the Xastir-2
direction, and bypass this problem through good design from the
get-go.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer