[Xastir] Moved "tmp" files out of /var/tmp (CVS)

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jun 20 20:21:35 EDT 2003

For those of you depending on the /var/tmp location to allow web
servers access to your snapshot files.  I just broke it:

In CVS, I just moved all of the tmp files into ~/.xastir/tmp, which
is a new directory that will be created when you start up Xastir.

If your permissions are set such that a normal user can't read your
"~/.xastir/tmp" directory, then your web server will probably have
difficulty getting to it as well.  The permissions are set fairly
restrictively on the tmp directory as Xastir creates it.  More than
likely your home and ~/.xastir directories are also set fairly
restrictively.

In order to get Apache to read the file I had to open up
permissions.  I then closed the permissions down after testing.  I'm
looking for a better way to do this.  Perhaps the snapshot file
should be created in ~/.xastir/tmp and then moved to public_html?

/var/tmp shouldn't be used by Xastir at all anymore.  This fix is
to help run Xastir more securely.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin