[Xastir] Map Files

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jun 30 15:54:50 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

> However, I have two problems. One is RADAR maps. I download the geo
> files, insert the IMAGESIZE 620 620, and while I get something, it looks
> like the resolution is quite large on the downloaded maps, pretty much
> making them unusable. Minor issue, and I'm sure it's the nut loose
> behind the keyboard.

The resolution _is_ quite large.  You can't get much info in a
620x620 image.  You can however zoom out so that it looks nicer.
You can also load multiple radar images at once so that you cover a
larger area with them.  I've loaded the entire U.S. radar maps this
way, and it's quite impressive to see all the weather at once.  I
wouldn't try that over a dial-up link though...

> Problem two is also a lack of understanding on my part. I really like
> the display of the Tigermaps, and think this would be really nice in the
> car on trips. I've downloaded files from ftp.mapshots.com, but which
> ones do I want to use on my laptop to get as close as I can to the
> default Tigermaps display? Basicly I have everything checked in the
> setup for Tigermaps but streets and state labels.

See the latest README.MAPS.  It details which layers are for what.
I use the ESRI Tiger->Shapefile maps rather than the mapshots ones.
I usually load these layers:

    *cty00.shp  County
    *wat.shp    Lakes
    *lkH.shp    Rivers/streams
    *lkA.shp    Roads

Lately I've also been loading the *uni.shp files, 'cuz we're looking
for a new house within a specific school district.  I set up the
layering so that they get drawn in the order shown above, with the
school zone drawn last.  I also set the county and lake files to
filled, and set the map background color to steelblue.

Hope that helps.  Works for me for a moving map program while
looking for houses.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin