[Xastir] Map Files

Bill Owens N2RKL bill-xastir at owensfamily.org
Mon Jun 30 16:32:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:08:47PM -0400, I wrote:
> What I'd really like to be able to do, though, is get just the radar returns
> - no "map" lines or place names. I think that I could probably archive
> a copy of the radar output during a time when there were no returns,
> and arrange a script that would subtract that from the active radar,

Actually this turns out to be pretty easy to do with ImageMagick. You
get some glitches where the timestamp changes at the top and bottom of
the image, but other than that the output looks pretty good.

So, does the GEO file format support anything other than FILENAME and
URL? Could I get it to invoke a script and display the output? I can always
run my fecth-and-subtract routine manually, but it would be slicker to have
it happen automatically.

And while I'm on this subject, what's the mechanism for getting Xastir
to reload the GEO-based map? Normally maps wouldn't change, or if they
did you'd manually reindex them, but obviously with weather radar you
need to keep checking for a new image.

Thanks,
Bill N2RKL