[Xastir] Map Files

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jun 30 16:36:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bill Owens N2RKL wrote:

> Actually this turns out to be pretty easy to do with ImageMagick. You
> get some glitches where the timestamp changes at the top and bottom of
> the image, but other than that the output looks pretty good.

There's a much better/easier/faster way.  Chris Bell is working on
that.

> So, does the GEO file format support anything other than FILENAME and
> URL? Could I get it to invoke a script and display the output? I can always
> run my fecth-and-subtract routine manually, but it would be slicker to have
> it happen automatically.

Yes, that would be cool!  We should think about doing that.  We'd
have to make sure we dropped priviledges to a normal user before
invoking scripts, and perhaps would need to check for those scripts
being located in the user's area somewhere for security reasons.
Doable though.

Any of the developers want to take this on?

> And while I'm on this subject, what's the mechanism for getting Xastir
> to reload the GEO-based map? Normally maps wouldn't change, or if they
> did you'd manually reindex them, but obviously with weather radar you
> need to keep checking for a new image.

There's a new tag for the .geo file.  Check the README.MAPS or the
on-line help system for the details.  I think it's called REFRESH.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin