[Xastir] Map Files

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Mon Jun 30 19:39:42 EDT 2003

> > What
> > I'd really like to be able to do, though, is get just the radar returns
> > - no "map" lines or place names. I think that I could probably archive
> > a copy of the radar output during a time when there were no returns,
> > and arrange a script that would subtract that from the active radar,
> > but I haven't played with it yet. I suppose before I do that I should
> > ask the list whether anyone else has solved that particular annoyance yet?
>
> Ummm.... Chris?  Wake up Chris!

Huh?  Oh Hi!  Yes, I am still working on that.  I was gone for the
weekend in the mountains, and while I was gone I lost the disk with my
home directory... So I am slowly returning to sanity. (sorry if my
email looks funny)  I was using xastir most of the weekend, and added a
few more things to my todo list to make it easier to use in the field,
but I really want to get the radar maps out the door first.  I was
usually driving, so didn't get much time to write code.

There are three issues.  First, making the background transparent and
clipping off the junk around the borders.  I have that working, and
just need to clean it up and make it more user-friendly to apply.  The
second problem is the other info they put in there like city names and
county boundries.  It will be easy to use my system to mask those off
as well if desired.  They however, bring to light the third problem,
is that the projection is waaaay off on those maps, and they are big
enough that it is painfully obvious when you load several with
transparent backgrounds.  I am still trying to implement that
solution.  GDAL and PROJ4 are in my current path.

I already implemented the REFRESH tag to auto-reload the images.  In
the next few days I should be ready to commit the changes to make
colors transparent.  (and clip borders.)  I want to get those in
before I leave for vacation next week...

Chris.
kd6zwr
cbell at junknet.com