[Xastir] Okay, so it only transmits when the GPS interface is started?

Jeff Laughlin jlaughli at vtc.edu
Wed Mar 5 18:04:53 EST 2003

I was fooling around some more trying to figure out how to make XASTIR
transmit my position. I realized that XASTIR WILL transmit my position, if
it is receiving GPS data. This leads me to the conclusion that XASTIR will
ONLY transmit my position if I am receiving GPS data. This doesn't seem
like the correct behavior to me. What if I were entering my positions
manually? Even fixed stations beacon their position and status.

I see, if I remove the GPS interface entirely, then XASTER DOES transmit my
position. So current XASTIR behavior is:

if ( gps interface exists )
	if ( gps interface is recieving data )
		beacon;
else
	beacon;

The CORRECT behavior IMO would be:

if ( gps interface exists )
	if ( gps interface is UP )
		if ( gps interface is receiving data )
			beacon;
	else
		beacon;
else
	beacon;

Because you may bring down the GPS interface but still wish to transmit
your position. Like I did.

I guess this would be more appropriate for the devel list. But the docs
should probably reflect the fact that just having a GPS interface in
existence, whether it's up or down, causes XASTIR to NOT beacon unless GPS
data is being received.
-73, Jeff