[Xastir] Okay, so it only transmits when the GPS interface is started?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Mar 5 19:09:40 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jeff Laughlin wrote:

> I was fooling around some more trying to figure out how to make XASTIR
> transmit my position. I realized that XASTIR WILL transmit my position, if
> it is receiving GPS data. This leads me to the conclusion that XASTIR will
> ONLY transmit my position if I am receiving GPS data. This doesn't seem
> like the correct behavior to me. What if I were entering my positions
> manually? Even fixed stations beacon their position and status.

I suspect it might be because you defined a GPS port.  If you don't,
Xastir happily sends posits at the rate you specify.

> I see, if I remove the GPS interface entirely, then XASTER DOES transmit my
> position. So current XASTIR behavior is:
>
> if ( gps interface exists )
> 	if ( gps interface is recieving data )
> 		beacon;
> else
> 	beacon;
>
> The CORRECT behavior IMO would be:
>
> if ( gps interface exists )
> 	if ( gps interface is UP )
> 		if ( gps interface is receiving data )
> 			beacon;
> 	else
> 		beacon;
> else
> 	beacon;
>
> Because you may bring down the GPS interface but still wish to transmit
> your position. Like I did.

Yep.  I concur with the "correct" algorithm.

> I guess this would be more appropriate for the devel list. But the docs
> should probably reflect the fact that just having a GPS interface in
> existence, whether it's up or down, causes XASTIR to NOT beacon unless GPS
> data is being received.

Very nice debugging Jeff!  That's the sort of info that makes it
much easier for the developers to find/fix problems.  I'll look into
this one.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin