[Xastir] UK APRS With XASTIR??

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Mar 11 12:20:01 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, George Smart (Abbs Cross School) wrote:

> I ahve been running APRS in the UK for a number of months now (windows
> based), and being a radio amateur, and wanting to mess about, i wondered if
> xastir would be of any use in the United kingdom??  I'm fed up of the
> Unreliability of Windows Based programs, and run a BBS/Node in south
> england, on linux, but untill now, was unable to find anything that would
> enable me to do APRS on Linux based machines.

Xastir is included in several of the Linux distributions, although
it's a very old version on there.  I'm surprised you haven't heard
of it before.

> If anyone can help me, with info on xastir then don't hesitate to drop me an
> E-Mail.

This mailing list is the best place to ask!

What do you need to know?  Xastir is a heck of a client, and gives
you lots of options for maps, tnc's, interfaces, weather stations,
etc.

Visit http://www.xastir.org and click on a few of the links to find
out more about it.  The screen shots and the Features pages are good
places for the introductory info.

Once you're happy that Xastir might work for you, either go snag one
of the development snapshots (03/03/2003 is the latest) or snag the
CVS version, install, and have fun.

Any problems you have along the way, ask on this list.  There are
people running all kinds of operating systems on here that have
probably already installed Xastir on the type of system you're
running.

I'd stay away from the "stable" release, as it's getting a bit long
in the tooth.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin