[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-Dev] Less brave testers wanted. :-)

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Mar 27 15:58:20 EST 2003

> What I think MIGHT be happening is that the TNC might be sending a
> slightly different format that standard KISS, like MKISS or one of
> the other variants.  That would mess up my decoding, which assumes
> plain-vanilla KISS packets.

Found this out.  Please verify whether the KAM+ uses MKISS or KISS
or some other variant:

  "Mkiss allows dual port TNCs to be used with the Linux AX.25
  kernel software. The AX.25 software has no support for dual port
  TNCs which encode the port number in the control byte of every kiss
  frame.  Mkiss watches a serial port, (assumed to be a dual port TNC
  in kiss mode) and routes kiss frames to/from two pseudo ttys. The
  other side of the pseudo ttys are then attached with axattach as
  normal."

So that means that the KAM+ is a dual-port TNC right?  That means
the packets are probably MKISS packets instead of KISS packets.  WE
don't currently support MKISS.

I think you'll have to run AX.25 kernel networking and load up MKISS
drivers there in order make use of that TNC with Xastir.

Are you seeing objects appear on the map via packets from this TNC,
or are they all getting thrown away?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin