[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-Dev] Less brave testers wanted. :-) (fwd)

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Mar 27 15:46:49 EST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:44:38 -0800 (PST)
From: "Curt Mills, WE7U" <hacker at tc.fluke.com>
To: Tom Young <tom at twyoung.com>
Cc: Jack Twilley <jmt at twilley.org>, "Curt Mills, WE7U" <hacker at tc.fluke.com>,
     WE7U Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [Xastir-Dev] Less brave testers wanted. :-)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Tom Young wrote:

> checking netax25/ax25.h usability... yes
> checking netax25/ax25.h presence... yes
> checking for netax25/ax25.h... yes
> checking for ax25_config_load_ports in -lax25... no

That's ok, 'cuz you don't need AX.25 kernel networking in order to
run with the Serial KISS interface.

> 	TNC> -(*|?-11>%r)#?08,?)"....9:k1rfd at k1rfd.com

The header is supposed to be gibberish as it comes from the TNC,
'cuz the 7-bit ASCII characters are all shifted by one in the
header.  After the header, nothing is shifted.  The KISS code in
Xastir does the shifting to make it come out all right, if the
packet is regular KISS.

What I think MIGHT be happening is that the TNC might be sending a
slightly different format that standard KISS, like MKISS or one of
the other variants.  That would mess up my decoding, which assumes
plain-vanilla KISS packets.

- --
Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin