[Xastir] INSTALL HELP! ! !

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 29 01:30:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Jacob Tennant wrote:

> OK I AM LOST NOW!
>
> > It sounds like you don't have a PATH set up so that BASH knows where
> > to find the commands.  I haven't had that happen before.
> >
> > If you can create a ".profile" file in the c:\cygwin\home\<user>\
> > directory, please do so and make it look like this:
> >
> Went into the cygwin directory and there is not a "home" directory? Can I
> just make one? (Using Widows Explorer to look at things)

Cygwin appears to work differently on systems where you don't have a
network login screen with user/password on Windows startup.  A
friend's system was like that, and it ended up creating a
/home/unknown directory (c:\cygwin\home\unknown).  It turns out you
need a home directory _somewhere_.

When you first bring up a Cygwin window, if you type "pwd", what does
it tell you?

> > export
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/Perl/bin:/cygdrive/c/WIN
> NT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/TCWIN45/BIN:/usr/X11R6/bin:/lib:/u
> sr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib:.
> >

> Where do I put this? the ".profile" file?  How do I create a profile file?

You need to put it wherever Cygwin thinks is  your home directory.
That's the problem we're trying to work through first.

As far as creating it, you can create the file under some other
filename using Notepad/Wordpad/etc, then rename it to ".profile"
and make sure it's in your home directory for Cygwin.

> > Change the the "WINNT" portion to whatever the Windows directory is
> > on your machine.  Then start up a new Cygwin window and type:
> >
> Don't understand any of the above???

Where it said "WINNT" above, change it to "WIN98", "WINDOWS", or
whatever you have on your system where Windows itself is located.
I took the example line off an NT4 workstation, so it won't be
quite the same as what you need on yours.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer