[Xastir] Slightly Off Topic: Help with Linux

Rich Garcia k4gps at arrl.net
Sun Mar 30 23:25:52 EST 2003

I am new to Linux and need some help. Can anyone point me in the right
direction on where to find step by step instructions on how to install
applications in Linux (I have RH8) and also other common MUST KNOW things
for Linux. I am somewhat pressed for time to be reading a 600 page manual
covering everything so I can just install Xastir, IRLP, or EchoLinux.

I installed it yesterday for the first time and have done nothing but surf
and check e-mail with it. I feel strange on this new OS since I know Win2K,
DOS and some Mac stuff. Now after so many years of working on a computer and
now I am clueless, now I know how it feels when someone asks me for help on
windoze and I think "gee that's so basic"!

I am looking to adopt Linux in a "reverse mode". I want to try some ham
apps, non critical and get to know it. During my little free time then I
will be inclined to learn shell commands and hopefully once I feel SOMEWHAT
at ease then I can try switching over other more critical things, maybe
eventually change over when I am competent.

Thanks,
Rich K4GPS