[Xastir] wx boxes and warnings

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue May 6 13:09:35 EDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, vic wrote:

> I am not fully understanding... is it correct that as long as I am connected
> to any of the internet servers around and listed in the Readme.1st file . I
> should get the warning polygons, etc., showing up on my instance of xastir.

Yea.  If you have populated the /usr/local/Xastir/Counties directory
with the Shapefiles from NOAA, and you have Shapelib compiled in,
you'll see counties and zones lit up as the alerts come and go.

Without all of that, you should still see the boundary boxes and
tornado objects on your screeen as they're posted to the APRS-IS by
the weather server.

> I don't know fully what the reference to aprs-si is.. some particular server..

APRS Internet Server system, APRS-IS.

> and if so, what are the addresses.. I cannot seem to find them

Look at the URL at the beginning of the server listing in
README.1ST.  That's where to go for the up-to-date info on servers.
We probably need to take the list out of README.1ST now, as it's
always going to be old.

> Is the wxsvr program off limits to all but a few people?

Nope.

> should I have seen alll the tornado boxes the other day?? on my machine?

Yep.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin