[Xastir] Fun with festival and VNC

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Wed May 7 11:31:56 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Lance" == J Lance Cotton <joe at lightningflash.net> writes:

Lance> Run a cable?  Since Festival doesn't run on windows (does it?),
Lance> it's tough. If it did, you could install Festival on the Win98
Lance> box, tweak Xastir to connect to the specific IP address of the
Lance> Win98 box instead of Localhost for Festival, make sure any
Lance> firewall ports are open for whatever Festival server uses.

My solution was close to this, but I used NAS for the transport.  NAS
is designed for this purpose, but I wasn't aware that it had been
compiled for Windows (well, Cygwin) until last night.

Lance> It's up to the sound card to make the sounds, so wherever you
Lance> want the sound to come from, you've got to have a sound card
Lance> there. Since there aren't any "network ready sound cards" out
Lance> there, you almost have to also have the software which talks to
Lance> the sounds actually *local* to the soundcard.

Yes, the physical layer is required, as is the link layer, but the
transport layer saved the day.

Lance> I suppose you could setup a shoutcast server or something along
Lance> those lines on the FreeBSD box (assuming it's beefy enough to
Lance> do real-time MP3 encoding). Plug a patch cord between line-out
Lance> and line-in on the FreeBSD box... Run a shoutcast client on the
Lance> Win98 box.

Eww. :-)  There are ways to do that with software, but still, eww.

Lance> It's amazing that with seemingly everything with computers able
Lance> to be detached physically, but connected network-ly
Lance> (video->VNC, keyboard/console->ssh, window system->X, etc.) the
Lance> sound system is so closely tethered to the actual user!

I recommend you look into NAS, then.  Very keen.

Lance> -Lance KJ5O

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley