[Xastir] cygwin/xastir questions

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Wed May 7 20:11:14 EDT 2003

I'm replying to myself... hmmm but my problems are fixed now.

At 03:02 PM 5/7/2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:
>I have 2 questions that I can't seem to figure out or find a straight
>answer on.
>
>1. Has anyone been able to make xastir play sounds when under cygwin? If
>so, what was required?

Alright thanks to a suggestion from someone on the list (it had run across
my mind before but wasn't sure it would work) I now have sound.

I installed NAS and am using auplay to play the wav files for the sounds.
I just added "run nasd -b" in my "start xastir.bat" file before xastir
loads and reconfigured xastir to use "auplay" and it works beautifully.

>2. I can't seem to get the online tiger maps or the "terraserver.geo" to
>work. Any ideas?  I have been able to pull findu trails and tiger shape
>files work.  I have compiled with imagemagick and geotiff support and also
>have wget installed.

I'm not sure what I did right this time that I didn't do the first time but
I opened the very same ImageMagick archive that I already had that I
downloaded from Curt's site and copied all the files again to /usr.

Still couldn't find "display" anywhere on my computer and was in the
process of downloading another ImageMagick package and decided to load
xastir one more time just to see what happened.  I clicked on the
"terraserver.geo" map in my list and after taking forever to download it
was displaying.  Then I tested the tigermaps option and it worked like a
champ too.

still confused on what exactly I did and/or didn't do but at this point I
don't care... all I know is everything is working as it should. :-)

Now to find some more features to exploit. ;)

Thanks again folks for the ideas of what to look for.