[Xastir] Lost control of xastir

Rich Garcia k4gps at bellsouth.net
Wed May 7 23:33:54 EDT 2003

This evening I moved to another section of the map and I was a goner.
This had never happened before but xastir showed loading tiger maps at
the bottom of the screen and it is slow so I changed my window. I came
back about a half hour later and it still showed loading but now the
pulldown menus were gone and the screen was a solid gray. So with great
difficulty I got to close the application and restarted and the same
thing happened.

The terminal screen shows very little other than the missing fonts and
something about festival. Using RH9 and xastir114-2003-Mar-14.tgz, here
is some info. Any idea how to get out of this "loop" ?

[rich at localhost rich]$ ps -auxww |grep xastir
rich      3936  0.0  0.1  3576  644 pts/0    S    23:21   0:00 grep
xastir
[rich at localhost rich]$ kill 3936
bash: kill: (3936) - No such process
[rich at localhost rich]$ kill 3576
bash: kill: (3576) - No such process
[rich at localhost rich]$ xastir
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Warning:
    Name: create_appshell text_output3
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\61' not supported in font.  Discarded.

Warning:
    Name: create_appshell text_output3
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\40' not supported in font.  Discarded.

--
Rich Garcia K4GPS
Jupiter Farms FL.