[Xastir] dumb but quick questions

Chris Howard chris at yipyap.com
Mon May 19 00:00:14 EDT 2003

I am currently using Xastir with an old TNC on the serial port and things
are going well.
I am not very well educated/experienced in the world of packet radio, but I
know
my way around Linux pretty well.

Here is my issue:

I live in a small town in the mountains.  At the end of this month, our town
will be the site of the 2003 ARRL Rocky Mtn Division convention.
Before that happens, I would like to get my APRS setup working as
a digipeater to handle some of this local traffic.

We do have a good wide coverage digipeater that can be reached from
some/most locations in town, but not all.  I see my part would be to
get those dusty corners covered, and pass things on to the wide
coverage digi.

I don't know anything about AX.25, but I'm starting to think if
I configure it, I can use digi_ned or aprsdigi software and maybe use xastir
at the same time.  Is that possible?  The multiplexing part of it
is what has me fuddled.  Can I have more than one application
operating via my one radio?  My current TNC does not understand
the wide3-3 type of syntax, so I think I want to use soundmodem
or something like that,  so I can use my sound card and take the TNC
out of the picture completely. Is that right?

Ok, so here is what I think I need to do:

1) build a kernel with AX.25, or get the modules compiled, whichever...
2) use soundmodem so my soundcard can be my TNC (and build a small circuit
        to do the PTT function over serial)
3) use digi_ned to do the smart digipeating
4) use xastir to do my user interface/mapping, and fun stuff like that

Is this making any sense?

Chris
kc0atc
Estes Park, CO