[Xastir] .tfw to .fdg conversion??

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 22 23:21:07 EDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:

> Since no one answered me on my last question I did some more digging.

That means no-one knew the answer, or no-one has read it yet that does.

> I have a rather large image I want to use a map that was created with a
> ESRI worldfile ".tfw" file for the georeferencing information.  Xastir I
> know doesn't support this format but does support Geotiff files with .fdg
> data files.

Yes.  It also supports images as long as they have associated ".geo"
files and you have compiled in ImageMagick (most image formats) or
XPM (XPM format images).

> I found that the geotiff package has a utility to convert the image from a
> regular tiff file to a geotiff but it doesn't output an extra data files.
>
> I tried running the "mapfdg.pl" script and it didn't do anything.... what
> am I missing?  There has to be a way to make it work.

That script is set up for particular file naming common for USGS
geoTIFF topo map files.

You don't need to go through all that.

Instead, keep it as a regular TIFF file, create a .geo file to go
with it, and use it!  Check out the online help (as in the help menu
inside Xastir itself) for the .geo format.  They're easy!

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer